Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Special Moments

I often have people ask, "How is your mom doing." A question that so many have sincerely asked and it definitely has been appreciated. Almost always my response is, "She is doing GREAT" It's not that I'm covering up what is really happening, but instead it has to do with who mom is. There isn't anything in this world that could keep mom down. Not some silly little cancer, or even chemo and radiation. I've had the opportunity to help out quite a bit along with Val and Dad. I wish I could put in words how special it has been to be by mom's side through this. but it's more of getting to be right next to someone that I look up to and respect more than anyone in this world. She is my hero and hope that I can carry at least a small portion of her in me.

Here are some of the special moments that I have been apart of. There is the daily talk about how many cans she should do in her feeding tube. She is suppose to do 6 per day which means 12 hours of sitting. (2 hours per can). I'm the nutrient nazi so when she tries to say she has eaten a lot (meaning a bite of toast, 2 tsp of soup and a few calorie free cheesy rice snacks) so she only has to do 3 cans, I compromise with 5 cans. There's the moment when we are giving some kind of medication through her feeding tube and we push it too fast and it explodes all over her. (Sorry mom).

Then there is the more serious moments, like when we are just doing our daily routines and mom still says thank you with deep appreciation in her eyes. Or the moment when she was asked tonight if she was scared to go though the surgery and with confidence she said no, because I know that the Lord is in charge and everything is going to be ok. Or the moment that touched me the most, the other day when I was helping her with one of her medications and she wasn't feeling real well. All of a sudden she started crying. I asked if she was in pain ready to take whatever action that was needed..... she said no and pointed to her headphones. Her IPOD was playing "I Know that My Redeemer Lives". What a special moment it was to be with her and feel the meaning of the song.

Mom is doing GREAT!!! She smiles everyday regardless of how she is feeling. She makes me laugh each day even through this all. I'm proud to say SHE IS MY MOM!!!!!

1 comment:

Kathi said...

I'm proud to know that you are my sister. I hope I learn to deal with difficult situations as well as you have. You have always been a role model for me and continue to be. You are teaching us all to have our faith work for us when times get tough. I look forward to spending so quiet time with you this week end.
Love you more than you know,
Kathi